A home in Brampton, Ontario was gutted by fire on Monday, January 13th, 2014. Police say the fire started in the garage where the homeowners were working on a vehicle. While there were no injuries reported, the fire caused serious damage to the home. It started around 8pm and was deemed under control by firefighters around 10pm.
In Pontiac, Quebec, a house fire on Saturday, January 11th, 2014 killed two people in the basement of a home. Police have not determined the cause of the fire, but it is believed to have started in the basement. Two other people who were also inside the home escaped and called 911 for help. In addition to the fatalities, damage to the home was estimated at around $200,000.
Another fire, this time in Huntsville, Ontario, left two people dead and another person seriously injured on January 10th, 2014. The fire started when a trailer parked in the driveway of the home caught fire.
These tragic stories illustrate how powerful and deadly fires can be. They can start without warning and spread quickly, leaving devastation and destruction behind. Thankfully, there are a few things that you can do to protect yourself, your property and your family from fires. These tips include:
- Cooking left unattended is a major cause of fires. If you have to step away from the kitchen, turn off the stove.
- Careless smoking is another major cause of fire and the leading cause of fatal fires in Ontario. If you smoke indoors, make sure that all cigarette butts are properly extinguished and always use deep ashtrays. Avoid smoking in bed as the blankets on your bed can catch fire very easily.
- If you’re using candles, place them in sturdy candle holders and never leave them unattended.
- Have your chimney cleaned and inspected every year.
- Ensure that your heating system is working correctly and have it thoroughly inspected annually.
- Keep space heaters away from anything that can burn.
Smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors and other fire protection tools are incredibly important. Install a smoke detector on every storey of your home and outside all sleeping areas. Make sure that you also have carbon monoxide detectors installed. Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odourless gas that can cause serious illness and even death.
For superior protection from fires, consider a monitored fire protection system. These systems ensure that the fire department is contacted in the event of a fire emergency. SafeTech lets you add monitored fire alarms to your monthly alarm monitoring service at no additional cost! With a monitored fire alarm, you receive 24/7 protection from a central monitoring station. This means that the authorities can be contacted more quickly, saving valuable time and preventing a fire from causing more serious damage.
Distributed by Global SEO Company
Company Name: Safetech Alarms
Contact Person: Sean O\’Leary
Phone: +1 (888) 671-7810 ext #225
Address:121 Willowdale Ave. Suite 202