However long a program takes, be it weeks or months or years, support and long-term follow-up are vital to a full recovery. A quality treatment program not only addresses the substance abuse, it also addresses the emotional endeavours and other problems that contribute to addiction. The important features to note when choosing an appropriate aftercare program include appropriate licensing, quality of care during the program, how well the patients are counselled to lead their life after leaving the facility and expertise of the staff.
It is important to only receive care from licensed, well-trained professionals and addiction specialists. The program should have good effectiveness, preferably verified by a third party. The aftercare program should do follow ups, provide referrals and provide a discharge plan so that the patient can avoid going into relapse. There are various kind of drug treatment programs. Some are discussed below.
- Residential Treatment – Residential treatment means the patient needs to live in the treatment facility while detoxing, it can include intensive treatment. The duration of residential treatments is 30-90 days.
- Partial Hospitalisation – Partial hospitalization is for people who require consistent medical monitoring but usually have a stable living situation. These treatment programs usually require the patient to meet at the hospital for about 3-5 days during a week and nearly 4-6 hours per day.
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP) – In this program, patients are not required to stay in the facility but they need to make a major contribution in terms of time. The patients are required to meet at least 3 days during a week and about 2-4 hours a day or more. The main focus of the program is to prevent the patient from relapsing to old addiction habits.
- Counselling – This works best in conjunction with other types of treatment or as follow-up support. Therapy can help identify the root causes of a person’s drug use, repair a person’s relationships, learn healthier coping skills and enlighten them to the path of sobriety
- Sober living – This would normally follow intensive treatment like residential treatment. One lives with other recovering addicts in a supportive drug-free environment. Sober living facilities are useful for individuals who do not have a place to go or fear relapses.
Going down the path of sobriety is not an easy one, as relapse can happen to anyone at any time even if they have a good willpower at their disposal. Aftercare programs are what help a person to recover fully.
Distributed by Client Initiative
Company Name: Gallus Detox Center
Contact Person: Vadim
Address:134 S Granite Street
Country: United States