Many individuals enter treatment malnourished because many substances suppress appetite, or they have for so long been surviving on small amounts of inexpensive processed foods such as instant soup because they had spent all of their money supporting their habit leaving no room in their budget for nutritious foods.
The well-balanced meals that treatment facilities provide nourish the patient, helping them to gain weight if necessary, and rebuilding a frail immune system.
Having a nutritious diet helps with withdrawal symptoms:
Magnesium and Calcium specifically has the capability to ease withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety, muscle cramps, twinges and discomfort. These can be found in leafy greens, dairy products and grains.
• Alpha lipoic acid is a supplement that has the ability to repair the liver.
• Probiotics found in yogurt and a drink called kefir can aid in digestion and strengthens the immune system.
• Vitamin B will repair the nervous system, thus relieving the anxiety that comes with withdrawal and gives the patient experiencing a loss of energy a boost. This is why many detoxification facilities often recommend those who are detoxifying from alcohol a vitamin B shot upon arrival.
• Vitamin C and Vitamin E work together to repair cognitive functioning. Vitamin E also helps restore the health of blood cells and any destruction of the skin. Vitamin C is easily found in citrus fruits and green vegetables.
A common effect of entering sobriety is severe depression during or after the withdrawal process. Good nutrition can also help with depression:
• Theanine can be consumed easily by drinking green tea. This amino acid promotes the release of GABA, which helps with anxiety, a common part of depression.
• B-complex vitamins aid in the production of serotonin in the brain, a chemical that is necessary to be balanced in order to relieve depression.
• Studies are showing that the omega fatty acids may play a large role in healing the brain from depression. Fish oil is a great source of omega fatty acids. Fish oil can be found in supplements or by eating cold water fish such as salmon.
The role of nutrition is vital in recovery to balance the mind and body after it has been destroyed by substances. Maintaining that level nutrition after leaving treatment is not difficult once the proper healthy eating habits and supplement regime has been established.
An unhealthy addiction habit can become a healthy eating habit simply by consciously treating the body to the right nutrients.
Distributed by Client Initiatives
Company Name: Elite Rehab Placement
Contact Person: Thomas
Address:903 Calle Amanecer, Suite 240
City: San Clemente
Country: United States