Keeping up with a lifestyle in which you are nursing a substance abuse problem is exhausting. There are ways to relieve stress without causing the stress that substance abuse brings.
Ways to Manage Stress:
• Holding your hands open fist in the air, open and shut them repeatedly. This exercise works like a stress ball does by releasing endorphins which relieve stress.
• Smile and laugh. Though this may be difficult to do during a stressful situation, it smiling and laughing will naturally release endorphins into your body. So tell a joke, watch a funny video on the internet, or play with a child.
• It is proven that pets are therapeutic. Petting your dog or cat can help you reduce your stress.
• Use aromatherapy by lighting a scented candle or rubbing scented essential oils on yourself.
• Take a hot bath.
• Practice mindfulness techniques like yoga and meditation.
• Exercise also releases endorphins: go to the gym, go for a jog, or a simple walk around the neighborhood.
• Spend time in nature. Studies show that those who are more connected with nature are more mentally, emotionally, and spiritually grounded. Taking a break from the fast-past world and enjoying the fresh air will certainly release stress.
• Find a hobby you enjoy. Whether it is baking, painting, knitting, or something else, having a hobby you enjoy will help you escape from the stress of the day.
Not all of these strategies will work for everyone; therefore, it is important to utilize many until you find the ones that work for you. Though it may seem impossible to cope with the unpleasant feelings that stress brings without substances, know that it is possible to practice new techniques that will work for you. When you know that you can combat your stress with healthier techniques, the emotions you go through on a daily basis will not be overwhelming.
Finding a way to function through life without the use of drugs and alcohol as vices for stress is important in order to achieve a new, sober lifestyle. Life will always present stressful situations; however, it takes a strong person to not run and hide from them. Be that strong person.
Distributed by Client Initiatives
Company Name: South Coast Counseling
Contact Person: Blake
Address:693 Plumer St
City: Costa Mesa
Country: United States