The moisture that comes with winter can be extremely harmful to the walls, floors, ceilings, and basements of a home. There are often many news reports about just how dangerous mold can become, particularly when it becomes the notorious “black mold.” This toxic form of mold is not healthy to live with, and can be detrimental to a the interior of the walls. The best way to prepare for the winter time, and truly not let mold be quite so frightening, is to take some time to understand mold.
Stachybotrys chartarum is actually what is meant when black mold is referred to, and it is powerful. It produces allergens and irritants, just like many other types of mold. All mold should be treated with caution, and should never be touched or disturbed by an individual who is not a professional.
There are many different types of mold that can cause a number of kinds of reactions; therefore, the safest thing to do in any instance involving mold is to call a professional cleaning and restoration service, no matter what color or type of mold is growing. There are even cases in which there are multiple types of mold living in the same home or structure. Mold is not something that should be ignored, so if mold is smelled, seen, or allergic reactions are suddenly being experienced without known cause, a professional cleaning and restoration service should be called on site immediately.
Important Facts About Mold
• When moisture builds up in the interior or exterior of a home or commercial structure, mold growth can start in as little as forty-eight hours.
• Mold can be found most places both indoors and outdoors.
• Because mold is microscopic, it can travel through the air, enter the home through the windows, doors, on clothing, pets, or even through the air conditioning and heating systems. It travels quickly; therefore, ensuring that the home or structure does not have any unnecessary moisture in it is important.
• The spores of the mold live off of moisture. The worst thing that can be done to try to get rid of mold is to spray it down with more moisture and wipe it away. This only accelerates the mold growth, making the spores grow into colonies quickly. The result is a cluster of colonies living in the walls and floors that are producing harmful allergens and irritants.
• Often, mold can begin with a broken pipe that is leaking water within the walls. In this instance, it is important that the sources of water or moisture be addressed. If they are not, the original problem will simply invite the mold to return.
• Mold gives off a very distinct, unmistakable, musty and strong odor that can be followed to the problem areas. It is actually very helpful in identifying when there is mold in the home or structure.
• Indoor humidity that is elevated past the normal range can support mold growth because the moist, damp, heat is the perfect feeding ground for the mold. As a rule of thumb, indoor humidity always be kept below forty-five percent.
During the winter time, mold can be a huge problem; however with these simple tips it does not have to be. Mold is actually not as frightening as the news may make it sound, so long as there is a local professional cleaning and restoration service available to service the home or commercial structure.
The winter season is meant to be enjoyed; therefore, before it begins, check for mold, leaking pipes, and anything else that may tantalize mold prior to the moist weather beginning.
Distributed by NetJumps International
Company Name: Servpro Asuza Covina
Contact Person: Thomas
Phone: (626) 387-4111
Country: United States