1 Mar, 2016 – AmeriCorps engages more than 75,000 Americans in intensive service each year at nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and community and faith-based groups across the country. In Minnesota, AmeriCorps members live and breathe service, which is why the Twin Cities’ celebration of AmeriCorps Week is one of the largest in the nation. In Minnesota, AmeriCorps isn’t just nice, it’s necessary.
According to James Adkinson, Program Officer at ServeMinnesota, AmeriCorps has been improving lives and communities for two decades. “Last year, in Minnesota alone, more than 2,800 individuals had the opportunity to provide intensive, results-driven service to meet education, environmental, health, economic, and other pressing needs in communities across the state. AmeriCorps Week is an opportunity to recognize those members, alumni and community partners for contributing their talent and resources to make a difference.”
Betsy Helmke, Vice President of the InterCorps Council of Minnesota agrees. “If volunteering is below you, leadership is above you.”
The InterCorps Council of Minnesota is organizing a week-long celebration of service for AmeriCorps members. This week long program includes a dodgeball tournament which doubles as a food drive, a domestic violence training, and a home building service project with Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity. Members of the community are invited to participate and learn more about different AmeriCorps programs available across Minnesota.
“AmeriCorps Week is great because it allows AmeriCorps members to show the community the type of servicek they do and the impact they make.” – Alex Askew, President, InterCorps Council of Minnesota.
We invite members of the press to attend our planned events for exclusive interviews with AmeriCorps members, alums, and community partners. Contact Ini Augustine at 651-315-1624 for more information.
For more information:
• 983,000: Number of individuals who have served as AmeriCorps members since 1994.
• 1.38 billion: Total number of hours served by AmeriCorps members.
• $3.1 billion: Total amount of Segal AmeriCorps Education Awards earned by AmeriCorps members.
• $1 billion: Amount of resources from private, philanthropic, and other sources leveraged by AmeriCorps programs in 2015.
• 2.3 million: Number of community volunteers managed or mobilized by AmeriCorps members in 2014.
• 21,600: Number of unique sites that AmeriCorps members served at last year.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/VjLFezBoPQE
Distributed by Press Release Jet
Company Name: SocialWise Media Group
Contact Person: Ini Augustine
Phone: 651 315-1624
Country: United States