The global blood screening market is expected to reach a value of USD 3.9 billion by 2024, based on a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. The growth of the market is attributed to the increasing screening of donor and continuous technological advancements by the market players. Demand for blood screening tests are increasing continuously due to increasing donation, rising awareness about transfusion-transmitted diseases, and technological developments in the industry.
Thorough screening is necessary for all donated blood to ensure that recipients receive the safest products. As of 2015, such testing consists of screening for red cell antibodies, and the infectious diseases agents: HIV-1, HIV-2, hepatitis virus, West Nile Virus (WNV), Human T-Lymphotropic Virus (HTLV) T. Cruzi, and T. pallidum (syphilis). Result of all these assays must be negative for blood donation.
Technological developments in the market increase the sensitivity and efficiency of the tests. For instance, in 2016, the U.S. FDA approved the Procleix Zika virus assay from Hologic, Inc. and Grifols to screen donated blood. Furthermore, the U.S. FDA approved next-generation sequencing (NGS) technology in 2013. The technology is cheaper and faster than previous DNA analysis methods.
Full research report on blood screening market analysis:
Further Key Findings from the Study Suggest:
- Nucleic acid amplification test or nucleic acid test (NAT) is expected to be the fastest growing segment during the forecast period. It comprises transcription mediated amplification (TMA) tests and polymerase chain reaction. Increasing demand of NAT over ELISA test due to high sensitivity and specificity for viral nucleic acid is contributing to the fastest growth during the forecast period.
- In 2015, reagent dominated the product segment. Introduction of new assays for the detection of various diseases is expected to enable the segment to gain the maximum share of market in the coming years. For instance, in January 2015 the FDA approved Roche’s blood screening assay COBAS TaqScreen MPX Test for the detection and identification of HCV, HIV, and HBV.
- In 2015, regionally North America dominated with a revenue share of more than 40%. Government initiatives, presence of major players, and more patient affordability are the major factors that contributed toward its dominance.
- In August 2016, the FDA recommended the testing of all the donated blood in the U.S. and its territories for Zika virus in order to prevent transmission of this virus through the blood supply.
- Asia Pacific is expected to be the fastest growing region due to increasing investment of industry players, government initiatives, and rising awareness about transmission of diseases during its transfusion.
- The Red Cross in Japan entered into a contract with Grifols for nucleic acid testing (NAT) for a blood donation camp in Japan in 2014. This agreement is anticipated to propel the NAT market during the forecast period. However, low donation as compared to requirement and high cost of kits and instruments are likely to restrain the growth in low-income countries during the forecast period.
View more reports of this category by Grand View Research at: http://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry/clinical-diagnostics
Grand View Research has segmented the blood screening market by technology, product and region:
Blood Screening Market Technology Outlook (Market Revenue in USD Million, 2013 – 2024)
- Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAT)
- Chemiluminescence Immunoassay (CLIA) and Enzyme Immunoassay (EIA)
- Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS)
- Western Blotting
Blood Screening Market Product Outlook (Market Revenue in USD Million, 2013 – 2024)
Blood Screening Market Regional Outlook (Market Revenue in USD Million, 2013 – 2024)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
- South Africa
Access research insight: http://www.grandviewresearch.com/research-insights/blood-screening-market-size-share-trends
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, Inc. is a U.S. based market research and consulting company, registered in the State of California and headquartered in San Francisco. The company provides syndicated research reports, customized research reports, and consulting services. To help clients make informed business decisions, we offer market intelligence studies ensuring relevant and fact-based research across a range of industries, from technology to chemicals, materials and healthcare.
For More Information: www.grandviewresearch.com
Company Name: Grand View Research, Inc.
Contact Person: Sherry James, Corporate Sales Specialist – U.S.A.
Phone: 1-415-349-0058, Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519
Address:28 2nd Street, Suite 3036
City: San Francisco
Country: United States