The fact remains that 12-step addiction recovery programs are still the most highly recommended treatment modalities used today. According to the National Survey of Substance Abuse Treatment Services, 12-step programs remain popular in Alabama with approximately 74 percent of treatment centers around the country.
The basis of the model is that recovering addicts respond to treatment better when placed in an environment where they can share their story and listen to others. The environment creates a bonding. People can help each other achieve and sustain sobriety. People find strength to avoid those behaviors and substances to which they became addicted. Positive mental health, a term identified as flourishing, helps participants in the program to maintain long-term sobriety. Not all will remain abstinent, but a sizeable number of participants will. For those that relapse, rehab is always one step away.
12-Step models provide the following benefits:
• The program helps patients to admit there is an addiction that can be addressed and cured.
• It helps a person to come to terms with their addiction, and to seek help through an outer, qualified guide.
• 12-Step models teach patients to become more self-aware of their own thoughts and behaviors. Patients learn they have control over outcomes in their life. They also learn to identity and avoid those triggers that can lead to relapse.
• Participants learn to accept themselves on a different level. They gain confidence that their behaviors can change. Once thinking and behavior changes, outcomes become more predictable.
• People engage the program and, quite often, develop compassion for others who have been affected by their own addiction, or that of others. The bonding quite often lasts for an entire lifetime.
• 12-Step graduates also gain the tools and methods that will benefit them throughout a lifetime.
The first step toward sobriety is to realize there is an addiction problem, and then to seek help. Addiction treatment centers provide the qualified staff, methods, modalities, and caring that can help addicts get back on the road to recovery. They are trained to examine and treat patients for co-occurring disorders. A co-occurring disorder may be an additional addiction, or a mental disorder. If left untreated, the chances of relapse will increase. Detox is always the first step. Toxins must be removed from a patient’s body before the rehab process and mental healing can take place. Counseling and behavioral therapy provide additional remedies to help the healing process along.
The 12-Step program provides an additional tool to help patients through the challenges of addiction. It is an amazing program that helps people come to terms with their limitations, and to realize that short-comings can be overcome. If you or a loved one suffers from an addiction, seek the help that addiction centers can provide. Ask about their 12-Step program and learn more about how it can help you or a loved one. After all, one thing will always remain true. A life is a terrible thing to waste.
Company Name: Elite Rehab Placement
Contact Person: Admissions
Address:903 Calle Amanecer, Suite 240
City: San Clemente
Country: United States