Global demand for stand-up pouches is growing, as consumers increasingly demand smaller pack sizes that are convenient to use. Pouches are lightweight yet robust, and are particularly strong in food, including pet food. They also have a relatively small carbon footprint compared to other established packaging formats – an increasingly important factor in the eyes of younger consumers. Many consumers also perceive stand-up pouches as a signifier of quality, making them a driver of premiumisation.
Stand-up Pouches: Growth and Opportunities in Food (including Pet Food) and Drink global briefing offers an insight into to the size and shape of the packaging market, highlights the effect of emerging geographies, categories and consumer trends on the packaging landscape. It identifies the leading pack types, offers strategic analysis of key factors influencing the packaging market – be they packaging innovations, consumption growth, category switching, economic/lifestyle influences, legislation or environmental issues. Forecasts illustrate how the market is set to change and criteria for success.
Data coverage: market sizes (historic and forecasts), company shares, brand shares and distribution data.
A GOOD FIT WITH CHANGING LIFESTYLES
Accelerated consumer lifestyles (long working hours and lengthy commutes) and strong growth in the number of single-person households are driving demand for both convenience and smaller sizes in packaging. The stand-up pouch format is well positioned to exploit these trends.
DOG AND CAT FOOD A KEY MARKET
Stand-up pouches are particularly strong in the dog and cat food market, especially in wet cat food and treats. The ongoing premiumisation trend in pet food bodes well for future growth.
Stand-up pouches are perceived by consumers as a signifier of quality in packaged food and dog and cat food. As a result, they can help a brand to appear more exclusive and lead to higher margins.
ON THE MARGINS IN BEVERAGES
Demand for stand-up pouches is relatively limited in the beverages market (the juice segment being a notable exception), particularly in alcoholic drinks. However, there is potential for growth in the RTD segment of the alcoholic drinks market via such products as frozen cocktails.
A MIXED PICTURE REGARDING SUSTAINABILITY
Younger consumers are increasingly interested in environmental issues. The light weight of stand-up pouches is a plus in terms of their carbon footprint, but recycling remains problematic.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Key findings
POUCHES IN GLOBAL RETAIL PACKAGING
- An emerging presence in packaged food
- Sauces, dressings and condiments key to growth
- Challenging metal in dog and cat food
- Western Europe and wet cat food are key for pouches
- A marginal presence in beverages
- Sales concentrated in North America and in juices
GROWTH DRIVERS FOR POUCHES
- Consumers want on-the-go food
- Single-person households drive demand for smaller pack sizes
- Pouches as a signifier of quality…
- … Leading to branding opportunities
- Single-serve me
- Sustainability is a win-win
NEW PRODUCT LAUNCHES
- Mars goes big on M&M’s
- A point of differentiation from private label
- Breathing new life into a tired category
- Nestlé responds to Russian inflation with smaller pack size
- Kopparberg puts cider on ice and in pouches
- Smirnoff invests in frozen cocktails
- PACK’D takes frozen smoothies into the mainstream
- Making mayonnaise more convenient
- Kraft Heinz seeks to revitalise mature salad dressings category
- Purina Revena boosts Nestlé’s fortunes in Brazilian dog food
FUTURE MARKET OPPORTUNITIES
- Smaller pack sizes to the fore in packaged food
- “Ovenable” pouches promise next-generation convenience
- Consumers go large on nuts
- Stand-up pouches to overtake metal food cans in cat food
- Can private label go upmarket?
- Opportunities abound in rapidly expanding pet treats category
- Stand-up pouches to remain marginal in beverages
- Athletes in search of a nutritional edge
- Sales of sports and energy drinks set to surge
- Going beyond glass in wine
- Towards a solution to the recycling problem
- The emergence of compostable stand-up pouches
Why buy this report?
* Get a detailed picture of the Packaging market;
* Pinpoint growth sectors and identify factors driving change;
* Understand the competitive environment, the market’s major players and leading brands;
* Use five-year forecasts to assess how the market is predicted to develop.
Company Name: Wiseguyreports.com
Contact Person: Norah Trent
Phone: +1 646 845 9349, +44 208 133 9349
City: New York City
Country: United States