Nairobi, Kenya – November 10, 2017 – The Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation & Livestock in Afghanistan has engaged Cellulant Corporation to commence the process of establishing a market-based input distribution technology. The aim of this collaborative effort is to bolster Afghanistan’s drive for self-sufficiency in wheat production. Cellulant, the World Acclaimed eWallet system’s partnership will help boost Afghanistan’s Agriculture sector.
Afghanistan is the first country in Asia and outside of Africa to adopt this eWallet System.
Commenting on the partnership with the Afghanistan government, the Co- founder of Cellulant Corporation, Mr. Bolaji Akinboro stated that the technology whose origin is Nigeria is the gift of Cellulant to humanity. ‘‘Afghanistan is beautiful to us, We are glad to come to be part of this journey to make life better for the small holder farmer in Afghanistan’’. The Agrikoree Wallet technology gives small holder farmers access to agricultural inputs of improved varieties/breeds, fertilizer, and agro-chemicals, making it the backbone of increased productivity and profitability of value-added chains. This technology allows the best available seeds and fertilizer to get into the hands of hundreds of thousands of small holder farmers to raise crop yields.
The eWallet System also known as AgriKore is a seamless technology that connects everyone to everything in Agriculture every day, everywhere, all the time. This technology enabled Nigeria to increase its food production by an average of 21 million Metric tonnes annually from 2012 – 2015; a period of falling food prices and abundance food availability. Out of Nigeria Cellulant has exported this technology to other African countries in francophone and Anglophone Africa such as Liberia, Togo Uganda etc.
‘‘Cellulant is driven to solve the most difficult problems using our payment technology. Over and over again we have seen Africans, through various innovations, prove that the impossible is made possible when the needs of the consumers are at the centre of the solutions provided. GES is certainly a testimony to this. Delivery of a programme of this scale and at this speed is a first for Nigeria considering that the entire agro-dealer network had to be rebuilt from the scratch”. This e-wallet system provides a holistic system to link the farmers to agricultural inputs supply chain, finance and markets through integration with mobile network operators, input markets, extensions services, financial service providers, commodity market, and insurance service providers. “We will work with the Government of Afghanistan to get inputs to 1 million farmers in the next 90-120 days”, Mr. Akinboro added, during a press conference in Lagos Nigeria earlier this month.
The e-Wallet system was conceived in Nigeria, by Dr, Akinwumi Adesina the President of AfDB & Former Minister of Agriculture in Nigeria; and developed &implemented by Messers Cellullant Nigeria Limited. So far, Masser’s eWallet or AgriKore ecosystem has benefited 17 million farmers, 2500 Agri-business, 800 e-extension workers and over 2,500 service points in Nigeria. This technology enables more than 5 million farmers to get access to high quality inputs every year.
Cellulant is a leading multinational payments company in Africa with a mission is to digitise payments for Africa’s largest economies. We strive to provide relevant payment solutions enable businesses to accept digital and mobile payments from their customers.
Our day job is to provide digital platforms that allow consumers, businesses and governments to easily and simply access and use their money.
To-date, we have built a payments platform with:
- coverage of 50% of the banks that matter in Africa – currently 10% of Africa’s banked population pay through Cellulant’s ecosystem;
- services to 15% (17M) of the unbanked population in Africa using our eWallet solution for farmers;
- merchants that allow consumers to make payment from a bank account or Mobile Money through white label mobile banking, internet banking or Cellulant consumer channels.
- an agent network that allows cash in/out, bill payments & de-cashing for the Fast Moving Consumer Goods value chains.
- This is driven by two different product lines – one for the banked customers and one for unbanked:
- For banked, we are moving organically from our business facing mobile banking software business to roll out easy, simple and secure consumer products that increases revenue to business and banks while simplifying the payment experiences for consumers;
- For unbanked we are building the foundation that will reach nearly all unbanked adults and help many banked adults transact across Africa; in Nigeria, we are building the first and only national mobile pay- ments network.
In 2016, Cellulant was named “Best Payments and Transfer Company in Africa” by FinTech 100; and was featured by the London Stock Exchange in 2017 as a Company To Inspire Africa.
Company Name: Cellulant
Contact Person: Divine Muragijimana