Barium carbonate, also known as witherite, is an odourless and tasteless white coloured powder with the chemical formula BaCO3. It is found in various forms and can be manufactured from either barium chloride or mineral barite. Barium carbonate is insoluble in water but soluble in most acids, thermally stable and does not readily disassociate. It finds applications in the manufacturing of products such as bricks, tiles, glass, ceramics, and various other chemicals. A new research report by IMARC Group, titled “Barium Carbonate Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2018-2023”, estimates that the global barium carbonate market was worth US$ 468 Billion in 2017. The report further anticipates the market to cross US$ 938 Billion by 2023, at a projected CAGR of more than 12% over the forecast period.
Global Barium Carbonate Market Drivers/Constraints:
- Barium carbonate is majorly used for manufacturing and glazing ceramic tiles since it acts as a crystallizing and matting agent which combines with specific colouring oxides to synthesise unique colours. A surge in the construction activities in the developing regions and the increasing use of tiles have influenced the market growth.
- Barium carbonate increases the refractive index and lustre of glass which makes it suitable for use in the glass industry. Apart from this, it is also used in the production of cathode ray tubes, optical glass, glass filters and borosilicate glass.
- Other factors such as increasing government expenditure on infrastructural activities, growing population, inflating disposable incomes and rising preference for a luxury lifestyle are bolstering the barium carbonate market growth across the world.
- Consumption of barium carbonate can cause convulsions, gastrointestinal disorders, muscle paralysis and tendon reflexes. Due to this, several governments in the developed countries have implemented stringent regulations on the usage of barium carbonate, thereby hampering the market growth.
Based on end-use, glass currently represents the largest end-use segment of barium carbonate. As barium carbonate increases the refraction and scratch resistivity of the glass, it used for manufacturing optical glass, cathode rays, etc. Other major end-use segments include barium ferrites, brick and clay, photographic paper coatings, etc.
Want more information about this market? Request a free report sample
China exhibits a clear dominance in the market, accounting for the majority of the total global share. A rise in the construction activities is increasing the consumption of ceramic tiles and glass in the region, thereby contributing to the barium carbonate market growth. Other major regions include Japan, Latin America, Middle East and Africa, and Europe.
The competitive landscape of the market has also been analysed. Some of the leading players operating in the market are:
- Qingdao Red Star Chemical Import and Export
- Hebei Xinji Chemical Group Co. Ltd.
- Solvay & CPC Barium Strontium GmbH & Co.
- Osram Sylvania Products Inc.
- Sakai Chemical Industry Co. Ltd.
Browse related reports:
IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
IMARC’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.