With the development of modern technology, PCBs are widely used, and with the cost down of electronic equipment, everyone wants cheaper and cheaper prices. The heavy cost pressure can also be felt in the PCB industry. Of course, when making the PCB boards, our company Rayming Technology help customers find a lot of ways to reduce the cost, like changing the base material, changing the material of solder mask… By using all these methods, the prices of printed circuit boards can be reduced by 10% to 50%. But there is no “free lunch”. The reduced cost of PCBs may come at the expense of increasing the cost of assembling PCB, reducing the long-term reliability of the finished products. So it may increase the final cost of the equipment.
With our increased business in lately 10 years, a lot of customers ask us how to reduce the cost of their PCBs. In order to help our customers to know the PCBs better and give some guidelines on reducing the cost of PCBs, we will introduce the propriety of different PCB materials and important prosperity index of them. In this tech report and we also give some detailed information on the cost of PCBs. Hope we can answer some questions of our customers
5 Tips for Cost Reduction in PCB Prototype Manufacturing
These tips can help you to reduce costs related to prototyping while ensuring that the PCB will perform as per expectations.
- Ask for Clearances: In multilayer circuit boards, reject rates and costs may increase due to lack of clearances between the ground and power layers of the boards. In such cases, it is a good idea to ask the designers to add solder mask, antipad, and thermal pad clearances.
- Solder masks should have clearances up to .005″ around non-plated holes.
- The clearance for antipads should be larger than the outer layer pads by 0.020″.
- Thermal pads should have clearances between 0.012 and 0.015
Also, the thermal pads should be equal or larger in size to the outer layer pads.
- Restrict Board Thickness Tolerances: While tight tolerances for board thickness can help in performance, it can also raise the costs of the PCB prototype manufacturing phase. Hence, it is suggested that customers ask for tight tolerances only where they will benefit the PCB’s design and performance. Otherwise, it is best to restrict the board thickness tolerances.
- Provide Artwork with Text Widths Above 0.0080ʺ: Generally, customers are required to provide artwork for silkscreen layers. If the text widths of the artwork are less than 0.0080ʺ, then the PCB manufacturer will have to take extra steps for imaging and processing. This can raise the overall costs. Hence, it is advisable to keep the artwork text widths at 0.0080ʺ or above.
- 4. Do Not Specify Hole Sizes Less than 0.016ʺ: Many customers ask for the hole sizes to be less than 0.016ʺ in size for better performance. However, a small hole sizes results in additional chemical processing, which can take an extra day of work. Hence, it is a good idea to let the hole sizes be larger than 0.016ʺ, when not required.
- Ask for PCB Material: The materials used to make PCBs are very important. And because the price of different material can vary from 10% to 100%, so the price differences of PCBs made by different materials can be huge! But as we said before there is no “free lunch”, usually low cost material comes with low quality. In this section, different PCB materials will be introduced.
FR-4 (FR = Flame Retardent)is a glass fiber epoxy laminate. It is the most commonly used PCB material. 1.60 mm (0.062inch). FR-4 uses 8 layers glass fiber material. The maximum ambient temperature is between 120℃ and 130℃, depending on thickness.
In Many companies like Rayming Technology, FR-4 is the most widely used PCB base material, next is FR-1 then FR-2. But FR-1 and FR-2 are usually used for 1-layer PCBs because they are not good for passing through holes. FR-3 is not recommended to building multi-layer PCBs. FR-4 is the best selection. FR-4 is widely used because it is good to make from one-layer to multi-layer PCBs. With only FR-4, PCB companies can make all kinds of PCBs, which leaves the management and quality control much easier, and eventually, it can reduce the cost!
PCB board manufacturing, PCB prototyping service & PCB assembling services – RayMing Tech Quality Control China PCB,pcb maker,pcb prototyping,pcb protoypes, quick turn pcb, express pcb, pcb Manufacturer To satisfy our customers we focus on producing PCB with top quality. We have implemented the ISO9001 and QS9000 quality system. The perfect quality assurance system and various inspection equipment help us to monitor the whole production process, assure the stability of this process and high product quality, meanwhile, advanced instruments and technology methods have been introduced to attain sustained improvement. There are many advanced inspection and test instruments in RayMing, which assures products”reliability of finished products.
Any technical questions, you are welcome to contact Windy.