In 2015, reports from CBC News announced that insomnia and other sleep disorders will affect 40% of Canadians within their lifetimes. Even though these disorders are common, they still pose serious health risks. Furthermore, data from the journal of the National Center for Biotechnology Information shows that from the sample of 2,000 Canadians over the age of 18:
- 40.2% showed at least 1 symptom of a sleep disorder for at least 3 nights per week in the previous month;
- 19.8% reported they did not feel they had satisfying sleep;
- 13.4% met all symptoms for diagnosing insomnia.
The problem is being able to recognize the symptoms of insomnia to maintain a healthy body and mind. In the survey published by the National Center for Biotechnology, there was little data to support that Canadians were seeking the right help for their sleep concerns. The study showed:
- Only 13% had visited a health care physician for these difficulties sleeping;
- 10% were using medications prescribed for sleep within the past year;
- 9% utilized natural products;
- 5.7% referred to over-the-counter products;
- While 4.6% used alcohol.
Informing the Public about Recognizing Symptoms
With the research supporting an increase in insomnia and other sleep disorders, Holistic Health Center advises the public about understanding insomnia and recognizing symptoms. They explain that acute insomnia is experienced by everyone and can last for only a few days. Acute insomnia does not affect the individual long-term; however, chronic insomnia can last a month or more and have lasting side effects. These effects including a decrease in energy levels, low work performance, and a decrease in general health.
HHC Centre explains that insomnia symptoms are as follows:
- Prolonged time before falling asleep at night, but feeling tired
- Frequently waking up during the night and staying awake
- Waking up before morning and being unable to fall asleep again
- Overall fatigue and tiredness
- Not feeling well-rested
- Difficult concentration or memory skills
- Symptoms of irritability, anxiety, or depression
- Accidental behavior and tendencies in making mistakes
- Frequent anxiety about sleeping
These symptoms are important to consider but HHC Center emphasizes that the cause of insomnia is often from stress, irregular routines, side effects of other medications, other medical conditions, over-usage of stimulants such as caffeine and tobacco, hormonal changes, and aging.
Besides insomnia, other sleep disorders include sleep apnea, restless legs syndrome, and narcolepsy. If individuals are experiencing some of these symptoms, he/she should contact Holistic Health Care Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or (905) 553-9255.
Holistic Healthcare Center is focused on holistic therapy that is focused on assessing health based on the body as a whole. They encourage individuals that experience chronic conditions or who are struggling with mental health and relationships, clients that are sick or in pain, and even healthy individuals to visit their office. HHC Center is dedicated to eliminating the stigma associated with mental illness and offers psychotherapy, group therapy, child and youth therapy, and meditation.
Company Name: Holistic Healthcare Center
Contact Person: Media Relations
Email: Send Email
Phone: (905) 553-9255
Address:2174 Major Mackenzie Drive
State: Ontario, L6A 3Y8