Mata Hari The Naked Spy unravels the complex story of how Mata Hari became World War One’s most notorious spy. This is the first film to feature Mata Hari letters and photos which were kept secret for over 100 years! The letters, written before she became famous, reveal startling truths about her life. At the height of her fame, Mata Hari’s erotic dances packed theaters across Europe, and her image graced the cover of Vogue. Yet within a decade she was gunned down by a firing squad – convicted as a German agent. Was she a dangerous spy, whose boldness and sexuality threatened the establishment, or a victim entangled in a climate of blame as WWI dragged on?
“Time to rescue Mata Hari from the spy myth and appreciate the real woman …” ~ SF Chronicle
“A fast-moving, ever-engaging film …” ~ Santa Fe New Mexican
“New documentary challenges ‘seductress spy’ myth …” ~ Marin Independent Journal
Mata Hari The Naked Spy can be rented or purchased for streaming via the film website: Rent/Purchase
* English & Dutch Subtitles Available
Purchase of the Film comes with 8 Exclusive Bonuses:
1. Video: Innocent or Guilty? In-depth interview with the first journalist to access the secret French Military File of the War Council.
2. Video: Mata Hari Requests Name Change. Visit the Hague Archive to discover the unknown story about Mata Hari’s name change requests.
3. Video: Is Mata Hari a Feminist? History Professor, Marijke Huisman, PhD gives her perspective.
4. Video: Dita Von Teese vrs Mata Hari. Dita Von Teese, the Queen of Burlesque, compares herself to Mata Hari.
5. Video: Who Was Mata Hari? We take this question to the streets of Paris.
6. In-depth psychological case study of Mata Hari created for the film by two innovative psychotherapists (PDF)
7. Secret Letter #14 – one of the most interesting of the secret letters. Images of the letter + English translation (PDF)
8. Film Poster: High Quality Image (JPG)
Also available on Amazon (*film only): Amazon Rent/Purchase
“With the #Me Too movement that has swept the country, we have to ask what has changed in the 100 years since Mata Hari? The answer is not nearly as much as we would hope,” said Co-Director, Susan Wolf, “Mata Hari was seeking freedom, artistic expression and the right to control her own life – things that women today still strive for. In the end she paid with her life.”
Renowned Dutch actress, Thekla Reuten, currently starring in the thriller Marionette and recently in Red Sparrow, voices Mata Hari in the film. International burlesque star Dita Von Teese adds her perspective on Mata Hari. Florence Rapati, who plays Mata Hari, a professional dancer who trained with the Netherlands Ballet Company, choreographed and performs her interpretation of Mata Hari’s dance. Co-directed by Susan Wolf and Machiel Amorison, primary filming took place in the Netherlands, with post-production in San Francisco.
Mata Hari The Naked Spy, premiered at the Santa Fe International Film Festival, won the Tiburon International Film Festival Audience Award, was the opening film for the Nevada Women’s Film Festival and was an official selection for the Kansas City Film Fest. The film’s theatrical run was kicked off with sold out screenings at the Roxie Theatre in San Francisco and the Smith Rafael Film Center in San Raphael, CA. Due to theater restrictions forced by CoVid 19 further art house screenings were cancelled. “We barely squeaked by with our Raphael screening. It was the day before theatres shut down! Obviously we needed to pivot, and we are excited to now release the film for streaming,” explained Co-Director, Machiel Amorison.
Electronic Press Kit: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ymwphuwhwg7mqkx/AAAnJ14Z7XVa1H7Rny-4d_6ta?dl=0