What is gamification? How does it help in Math education? Here is how:
Thanks to the ingenuity of one Nick Pelling, gamification has changed how activities are carried out. Being a game developer from Britain, he coined this term in early 2000s as a tool for enhancing quick and fun electronic transactions.
Gamification applies the use of game-playing in non-game activities. Its intended purpose is to motivate, enhance participation and improve memory skills of the activity.
Nowadays, gamification has found its way into other industries such as education. As a result, it is applied in numerous subjects, one of them being Mathematics.
Here are 5 ways that gamification helps in Math education:
- Gamified Math lessons enhance problem-solving and thinking skills in students. During such lessons, students will use all sorts of tactics to win the games. This improves their problem-solving skills and how they process a challenge, both of which are useful in Math.
- Gamification serves as an assessment tool for learning abilities in students. As a tutor or teacher, you are able to analyze learning styles, strong areas, weak areas as well as their way of approach to each Math topic.
- Gaming elements in Math lessons improve interpersonal relationships and interactions among students, parents and teachers. It narrows the generational gap between children and adults. This creates openness and freedom of expression, hence children easily seek help.
- Gamification fosters an open-minded approach. It enables students to understand that there are always two sides to every story or situation, and that none is superior to the other. Losing, whether in Math or life is not the end, you have to try again.
- Gaming elements enhance active participation in classrooms. For subjects like Math, active participation is an indispensable tool that mitigates boredom and facilitates better understanding of topics.
When used effectively, gamification enhances solution-seeking, interactions and participation in Math lessons.
Company Name: WINTHERMS COMPANY LIMITED
Contact Person: Piyaphat Thamsiri
Address:202 Moo1 T. Bankhai A. Bankhai