Western Cape, South Africa – March 18, 2021 – The danger posed by single-use masks is one of the stronger reasons that Stellenbosch Nanofiber Company decided to refocus their efforts as a developer of nanofiber products and materials. Single-use masks also referred to as disposable masks have multiple layers of different nonwoven fabric materials. Their function is to reduce transfer of respiratory droplets and therefore provide protection for the wearer and those in contact with the wearer.
They do not seal tightly to the wearer’s face and may or may not be fluid resistant. Single-use masks, as the word indicates, are designed for single use. The reason for this is the deterioration that happens to these masks with prolonged use. Factors that contribute to deterioration are moisture exposure, exposure to chemicals, heat, and radiation.
SNC is passionate about creating solutions that are sustainable, safe, available and support community health workers. The Rethink Face Mask Filter™ is a removable and reusable, up to 9 times, nanofiber medical mask filter that offers a more sustainable alternative to single-use masks.
During a recent interview, a company spokesperson made these comments, “Reusing a single-use mask is dangerous for your health and the health of those around you. Aged single-use masks can release fibers that can cause irritation of the skin, mucous membranes, and upper respiratory tract. Whether these fibers can be inhaled deeper into the respiratory tract is unlikely but further research is needed. The most concerning fact is that research has shown that the Corona virus can last up to 7 days on a single-use mask. Which is why, when a single-use mask is reused, it can result in contamination and contribute to infection and spreading the virus.”
The reusability of nanofiber filter media is a significant differentiator from the filter media used in traditional single-use masks. In reaction to global PPE shortages, numerous systematic studies have been done on the extended use, re-use or reprocessing of single-use surgical masks. The conclusion from all these reviews is that extended use and re-use of single-use surgical masks and respirators (with or without reprocessing) leads to diminished performance and should only be considered in situations of critical shortage.
ReThink Face Masks & Filters have proven themselves to be the intelligent and cost-effective alternative to the traditional single-use face masks flooding the market.
Here is why:
- It consists of a filtering layer of tiny PVDF nanofibers with diameters smaller than 160 nanometers. This layer is created through a process called electrospinning with SNC’s patented high-throughput ball-electrospinning technology (SNC BEST ®).
- The nanofiber filter layer ensures that the mask has a particle (PFE) and bacterial filtration efficiency (BFE) greater than 95% for Type I masks (and 98% for Type II masks), whilst keeping the breathability remarkably high (< 40 Pa/cm2), in line with European standard EN 14683.
- The filters are equivalent to traditional surgical masks and are suitable for use in primary care settings where basic PPE protection of health workers and other social and relief workers is required. Note: Like other surgical masks, these masks are not suitable for aerosol generating procedures.
- The filters are manufactured in a clean manufacturing environment under ISO 13485 certified Good Manufacturing Practices for medical devices and can be used right out of the package.
- After the initial use, the filter can be disinfected with boiling hot water and reused 9 times.
The Rethink Face Mask Filter-compatible cloth mask is designed with a filter pocket that serves to hold the nanofiber filter in place over the wearer’s mouth and nose. The modular design recognizes the fact that, when it comes to face masks, one-size-does-NOT-fit-all.
The mask design, using ear loops or ties, and different sizes, ensure that masks can be selected for different face shapes and use scenarios. Masks also come with optional fabric finishes for water repellency, flame retardancy, and antiviral and antibacterial activity.
All ReThink Face Mask Filter-compatible cloth mask designs have a wire nose piece to ensure optimal conformance to the wearer’s face and have been extensively field-tested and refined to ensure maximum user comfort.
Keep in mind, due to their location and manufacturing capabilities in Africa, shipping their Masks and Nanofiber Filter result in huge savings in logistics. Because these filters are reusable, they replace 9 single use masks which result in huge logistical savings and reduce environmental waste.
Complete information is available at: https://rethinkfacemaskfilter.com
Company Name: Stellenbosch Nanofiber Company
Contact Person: Media Relations
Email: Send Email
Phone: +27 82 572 3434
City: Western Cape
Country: South Africa