Detroit, MI, USA – May 11, 2021 – With COVID-19 restrictions lifting across the country, it’s time for authors to check out some Book Fairs and Festivals.
“Since most events were cancelled in 2020 due to COVID-19 authors have been ‘chomping at the bit’ to get face to face once again,” says Scott Lorenz, a book publicist from Michigan.
“Interestingly, some of shows are 100% virtual and many are hybrid and include an in-person element as well,” says Lorenz. “Nothing does an author more good than to meet people who love to read books and write books. Book fairs offer that opportunity.”
Lorenz advises authors to contact book fairs early to see if they want a speaker. By volunteering to speak, authors not only gain great exposure but can also add that appearance to their resume and press releases.
Lorenz said that one of his author clients was a member of a panel of authors at a Southern Book Festival. He issued a press release about it and added it to her accomplishments on her bio. “Not only is she a respected author but she’s now an author admired by her peers. It’s these little things that all add up in the minds of reviewers and the media when they decide who they will write about. If you want to land a panel slot or speaking gig you must plan ahead; dates for panel participants, speakers and autograph sessions are usually arranged months in advance,” said Lorenz.
“Being a book publicist,” says Lorenz, I am a regular viewer of C-SPAN2 which has author interviews, speeches, book fairs and more about books. Check it out at: http://www.BookTV.org and click on the Book Fairs tab.”
“Since 2020 was a year with mostly cancelled book fairs, we’ve reached out to find out who was planning on hosting a book festival in 2021. Many have not decided what to do, some have gone on hiatus. Here’s my list of upcoming book fairs and events that are worth checking out as of the date of this article,” said Lorenz.
1. The RBMS Booksellers’ Showcase, June 8-10, 2021, Virtual. The RBMS Booksellers’ Showcase features a variety of exhibitors and products like original art and illustration and manuscripts: https://rbms2021.us2.pathable.com/showcase
2. American Library Association Annual Conference, June 23-29 2021, Virtual. Some 25,000 experts in the market who will help you advance your career: https://2021.alaannual.org
3. International Christian Retail Show (ICRS) June 25-June 28, 2021, Atlanta, GA. CBA’s International Christian Retail Show Considered the best show for Christian authors according to Sara Bolme, author of Your Guide to Marketing Books in the Christian Marketplace: http://www.Marketingchristianbooks.com
4. Harlem Book Festival, July 2021 Harlem. This festival is visited by over 30,000 readers the third week of every July and viewed by millions on C-Span: http://www.harlembookfair.com
5. Printers Row Lit Fest, September 11-12, 2021, Chicago. A large book fair attended by more than 150,000 book lovers: http://printersrowlitfest.org
6. The Bookmarks Festival of Books & Authors, September 25, 2021, Virtual and Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Bookmarks connects people and books through its annual festival, which has been around for over 17 years: https://www.bookmarksnc.org/festival
7. The South Dakota Festival of Books, September 30-October 3, 2021 in Brookings and Sioux Falls, South Dakota. It brings together about 4,000 attendees and more than 50 noteworthy authors, scholars, and publishers: http://sdhumanities.org/festival-of-books
8. The Brooklyn Book Festival, September 26- October 4, 2021, Brooklyn, NY. This festival’s mission is to “celebrate published literature and nurture a literary cultural community.” http://www.brooklynbookfestival.org
9. The Seattle Antiquarian Book Fair, October 9-10, 2021, Seattle, WA. The Seattle Antiquarian Book Fair boasts exhibitors from the U.S., Canada, and Europe: http://www.seattlebookfair.com
10. The Southern Festival of Books, October 2021, Nashville, Tennessee. This festival connects readers and writers from Tennessee and beyond: https://www.visitmusiccity.com/visitors/thingstodo/southernfestivalofbooks
11. The Texas Book Festival, late October or early November 2021, Virtual or Austin, TX. This festival was founded in 1955 and features over 250 authors as well as over 100 exhibitors: http://www.texasbookfestival.org
12. The Baltimore Book Festival, dates TBD, Baltimore, MD. The Baltimore Book Festival offers storytellers, poetry readings, panel discussions, cooking demos, live music, and more: http://www.baltimorebookfestival.com
13. Writers at Woody Point, 2021 dates TBD, Woody Point, Newfoundland. Travel to Canada and see what creativity and talent lies across the border: http://www.writersatwoodypoint.com
14. Decatur Book Festival, 2021 dates TBD, Decatur, GA, largest independent book festival in the country. Since its launch, more than 1000 authors and hundreds of thousands of people have attended this event in downtown Decatur: http://www.decaturbookfestival.com
The Bottom Line: Authors, GET OUT OF THE HOUSE! Put down your pen and go explore the many book fairs and festivals around the country. You won’t be sorry!
Book publicist Scott Lorenz is President of Westwind Communications, a public relations and marketing firm that has a special knack for working with authors to help them get all the publicity they deserve and more. Lorenz works with bestselling authors and self-published authors promoting all types of books, whether it’s their first book or their 15th book. He’s handled publicity for books by CEOs, CIA Officers, Navy SEALS, Homemakers, Fitness Gurus, Doctors, Lawyers and Adventurers. His clients have been featured by Good Morning America, FOX & Friends, CNN, ABC News, New York Times, Nightline, TIME, PBS, LA Times, USA Today, Washington Post, Woman’s World, & Howard Stern to name a few.
Learn more about Westwind Communications’ book marketing approach at https://www.book-marketing-expert.com or contact Lorenz at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 734-667-2090 or fill out the form below.
Follow Lorenz on Twitter @aBookPublicist.
Want help titling a book? Check out Scott Lorenz’s new award winning, bestselling book: Book Title Generator – A Proven System in Naming Your Book. Buy it at: www.booktitlegenerator.net.