Vancouver, BC, Canada – May 31, 2021 – Thomas Girard is a prolific Canadian scholar adept in several disciplines. His newly published book, “Emerging Scholar: Gratitude of An Award Recipient”, tracks his growth and accomplishments throughout his career. Thomas meets and surpasses all of the definitions of the word “Scholar”.
Besides his academic achievements and awards, he has had an immense impact on the lives of many students. So much so, that he was inundated with Student Testimonials to be included in his new book.
“Emerging Scholar: Gratitude of An Award Recipient” reflects his unique cultural perspective to his work as an Instructor in Vancouver, BC. His work has been internationally recognized through the Common Grounds Research Network as a 5-time Emerging Scholars Grant recipient. The Common Grounds Research Network Emerging Scholars Grant is awarded to eligible Ph.D. students and early career faculty who are undertaking contextually appropriate research in an accredited university. Having lived and worked in Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, New Delhi, Vancouver and London, Thomas is a sought-after speaker and panelist.
Thomas Girard was accepted to attend University of Oxford in lectures equivalent to graduate coursework. He has received several Emerging Scholar awards, first at the Design Principles and Practices conference in Barcelona, Spain at the prestigious ELISAVA. At Emily Carr University of Art and Design he received his second Emerging Scholar award. Other awards include RBC Emerging Scholar, Royal Bank of Canada Foundation. For 2021, he has been awarded an Emerging Scholar award from the New Directions in the Humanities conference in Madrid, Spain.
Readers will be amazed at the depth of knowledge Thomas exhibits in his chosen academic pursuits.
- Seventeenth International Conference on the Arts in Society, 2022 on Advanced Typography Workshops in Quarantine.
- Sixteenth International Conference on the Arts in Society, 2021 on Unique Ways of Making
- Fifteenth International Conference on Design Principles & Practices, 2021 on Unique Ways of Prototyping.
- Fourteenth International Conference on Design Principles & Practices, 2020 on The A4 Workshop.
- Fifteenth International Conference on The Arts in Society, 2020 on Unique Ways of Prototyping.
- Fourteenth International Conference on the Arts in Society, 2019 on One Hundred Watch Faces.
- Thirteenth International Conference on Design Principles & Practices, 2019 on The Helvetica Project.
Literary Journal Essays:
- Advanced Typography Workshops in Quarantine: Published Text in The Ormsby Review, Graduate Liberal Studies Journal, 2021.
- Dear Thomas King: Published Text in The Ormsby Review, Graduate Liberal Studies Journal, 2020.
- Unique Ways of Prototyping: Published Text in The Ormsby Review, Graduate Liberal Studies Journal, 2020.
The book goes on to document Thomas’ many talks and roundtable discussions. His pre-pandemic Tedx Talk about “Airports” became a highlight of his many talks and has been translated into at least 26 languages.
It is clear that Thomas Girard has the uncanny ability to express his thoughts in a way that listeners can instantly relate to and ponder. It cannot be said that he is not a master wordsmith. Many of his readers have commented that they felt as if Thomas was in the room reading his book to them.
Student Testimonials tell the story of Thomas Girard. Take a look at what Misty Liang had to say, “I had the pleasure of taking several classes with Thomas during my time in Emily Carr University’s interaction design program. Coming from an Ivy League liberal arts background, I was challenged by Thomas’ teaching style to think and create in a way I had never before. Integrating conceptual development with a variety of hands-on techniques.”
She goes on to say, “Thomas provided an environment for students to stretch their skills base and build confidence in their creative process. Extending beyond design, his methods are relevant in any field where one needs to communicate and reach a targeted audience effectively. Above all, Thomas is a great mentor who generously supports students in their career development, both during and after the program.”
Having lived and worked in Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, New Delhi, Vancouver, and London, he is a person of many places. A 5x Emerging Scholar Award recipient, he speaks, receives awards, and sits on panel discussions around the world. Once employed as a Staff User Experience Designer at Lenovo Innovation Design Center User Experience Center in Haidian District, Beijing, his days are often spent thinking about where he will be tomorrow as he designs possibilities for our future selves.
Thomas Girard is available for interviews on a number of topics including our societal dependence on connectedness and the craving of familiarity during these challenging times.
Please visit Thomas Girard’s YouTube Channel here.
Follow Thomas on Social Media:
For complete information on Thomas K. Girard, visit: https://thomaskgirard.com/