What is IgA Nephropathy?
IgA nephropathy, also known as Berger’s disease, is a kidney disease that occurs when IgA deposits build up in the kidneys, causing inflammation that damages kidney tissues. IgA is an antibody, a protein made by the immune system to protect the body from foreign substances such as bacteria or viruses. Most people with IgA nephropathy receive care from a nephrologist, a doctor who specializes in treating people with kidney disease.
IgA Nephropathy Epidemiology
- In North America and Europe, males are two times more likely to get the disease, while in Asia, females are just as likely as males to be affected.
- Asians are much more likely than Caucasians to get IgA nephropathy.
- IgA nephropathy most often presents between teenage years to late 30’s, but can present at any age.
IgA Nephropathy Market Outlook
According to DelveInsight, IgA Nephropathy market in 7MM is expected to change in the study period 2017-2030.
Currently, effective treatment options for IgA nephropathy are limited and focus on conservative measures to arrest disease progression rather than treating the primary IgA defect. None of these has yet been studied in large-scale clinical trials, and the evidence for their benefit is limited to small trials and observations. The treatment of IgA nephropathy in any individual patient should be tailored to that patient’s presentation, given the conflicting results of many studies of this disease. All patients should be given supportive therapy with renin-angiotensin system blockade and dietary sodium restriction. Tonsillectomy is appropriate only for patients with recurrent tonsillar infections.
Currently, various drug therapy are available but these drugs are use to reduce the blood pressure and systemically suppress the immune system. Immunosuppressants drugs can cause a range of serious side effects, such as high blood pressure or high blood sugar and research and development activities of immunosuppressants have not provided conclusive evidence of overall benefits for disease progression and patient outcomes when balanced against risks associated with these therapies. Renal biopsy remains the gold standard method for diagnosing IgA nephropathy. However, due to its invasive nature, it is not performed routinely and often is asymptomatic at early stages. So, there is high unmet need of further advancement in diagnosis tool, along with the novel therapeutic that can overcome the adverse effects of existing therapies and can treat the root cause of IgA nephropathy.
To meet the current unmet needs of the Acute Gout Flare market, companies like Aravive, Inc., Aduro Biotech, Inc., Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Novartis and many others are developing therapies for the treatment of this indication.
The factors that shall expedite the growth of IgA Nephropathy market include increasing awareness about available treatments during the forecast period (2019–2030). Overall, the increasing Prevalence, disease awareness, and promising emerging pipeline therapies will propel the market size forward during the forecast period. A better understanding of disease pathogenesis will also contribute to the development of novel therapeutics for IgA Nephropathy.
Which biotechnological companies involved in the development of IgA Nephropathy therapies?
Key players such as Novartis, Omeros Corporation, Calliditas Therapeutics, Apellis Pharmaceuticals, Aravive, Ionis, Aduro and many others are developing therapies for the treatment of patients with IgA Nephropathy. Expected launch of emerging therapies such as OMS721 (Omeros Corporation), Nefecon (Calliditas Therapeutics), APL-2 (Apellis Pharmaceuticals), LNP023 (Novartis), AVB-500 (Aravive), BION-1301 (Adura Biotech) and other compelling treatments, are expected to increase the market size of IgA Nephropathy in upcoming years.
Scope of the Report
- The report covers the descriptive overview of IgA Nephropathy (IgAN) , explaining its causes, signs and symptoms, pathophysiology, diagnosis and currently available therapies
- Comprehensive insight has been provided into the IgA Nephropathy (IgAN) epidemiology and treatment in the 7MM
- Additionally, an all-inclusive account of both the current and emerging therapies for IgA Nephropathy (IgAN) are provided, along with the assessment of new therapies, which will have an impact on the current treatment landscape
- A detailed review of IgA Nephropathy (IgAN) market; historical and forecasted is included in the report, covering drug outreach in the 7MM
- The report provides an edge while developing business strategies, by understanding trends shaping and driving the global IgA Nephropathy (IgAN) market
Request sample pages for more information on IgA Nephropathy Market Size