From July 16 to July 31, 2021, the 44th World Heritage Conference will be held by China in Fuzhou, Fujian Province. This is the second time that China has hosted the World Heritage Conference. It is also the highest in the field of cultural and natural heritage protection Specifications of the international conference. The world heritage sites in Fujian Province, including Gulangyu Island, have once again attracted the attention of the world.
World Heritage Conference and Gulangyu Island
Gulangyu Island is located in Xiamen. Xiamen is located on the southeast coast of China, covering an area of 1,699 square kilometers. It has a subtropical maritime climate, with mild and rainy year round and lush flowers and trees. It is known as the “Egret Island” because of its many habitats of egrets. In July 2017, at the 41st World Heritage Conference, the entire Gulangyu Island was included in the World Heritage List as “Gulangyu Island: A Historical International Community”. This shining island has become a common treasure for all mankind. An island with an area of only 1.88 square kilometers, with 51 representative historical buildings and homes, 4 groups of historical roads, 7 representative natural landscapes, 2 representative cultural relics, and more than 900 existing historical features on the island building. Hundreds of historical buildings, roads, representative natural landscapes and cultural relics on Gulangyu, including the Bagua Tower, together constitute the core elements of Gulangyu’s cultural heritage. At the 41st World Heritage Conference, they were praised by experts in the protection of the United Nations World Heritage.
Witness the integration and development of Chinese and foreign multiculturalism
Since modern times, Xiamen has experienced a leap-forward development from the front line of coastal defense to a modern and international port city. As one of the first four special economic zones established in China, the new economy and new industries are developing rapidly, and trade and investment go hand in hand. Sea, land, and air transport reach the five continents. Today, Xiamen has developed into a city of high-quality innovation and entrepreneurship with a high-value The city of ecological gardens. Gulangyu embodies the spirit of Chinese culture of tolerance, cooperation and advancing with the times. Gulangyu exudes its own unique charm and plays an important role in the role of “historical international community”. Witnessing the integration and development of Chinese and foreign multiculturalism.
International Architecture of Gulangyu
Gulangyu History and Culture Exhibition Hall
The Gulangyu History and Culture Exhibition Hall is located at No. 16 Lujiao Road, Gulangyu Island. It was originally the site of the British Consulate. It was originally built in 1863. The existing building was rebuilt in 1998. The exhibition hall covers an area of about 1750 square meters and has three floors, including a small projection hall. Introduction and display of Gulangyu’s historical evolution, social development, and related process of heritage protection. The entire exhibition hall showcases the protection process of Gulangyu’s cultural heritage through graphics, images, objects, models and other forms of expression, and comprehensively explains the world cultural heritage of Gulangyu. Core value.
Located at No. 34, No. 36, No. 38, No. 40 and No. 42 of Fujian Road, Gulangyu Island, Haitiantang is a large-scale historical building complex on Gulangyu Island. Haitiantang was built by the overseas Chinese Huang Xiuwen and Huang Nianyi from the Philippines between 1920 and 1930. It is a large house composed of gate towers and five buildings. It covers an area of 6,500 square meters. It is the only villa group on Gulangyu that has a central axis symmetrical layout. . Haitiantang has both Chinese and Western architectures and colonial verandah-style buildings, which collectively reflect the conditions of Gulangyu historic buildings in this historical period from the 1920s to the 1930s, and have important historical and artistic value.
Huangrong Yuantang is located at No. 32 Fujian Road, Gulangyu Island. Built in 1920, it is a verandah-style overseas Chinese mansion building with the local style of southern Fujian. The entire courtyard covers an area of more than 3,000 square meters, the main building area is 1,200 square meters, and there is an annex building on the northwest side. The main building is three stories high, and the entrance to the front facade is a two-story semi-circular plane “turtle-out” colonnade supported by four imitated Tuas dry columns, which is very spectacular. The stigmas, cornices, doors and windows, balconies and other parts of the building are mostly decorated in a baroque curve style. The south courtyard is a garden combining Chinese and Western styles. The building is currently being developed and used as the China Record Museum. Huang Rongyuan Hall is an important representative of the Gulangyu Overseas Chinese House in the first half of the 20th century. The architectural style reflects the fusion of Chinese and foreign cultures, and at the same time witnesses the history of overseas Chinese’s involvement in the construction and development of Gulangyu.
Located at No. 15 Zhonghua Road, Gulangyu Island, Chujiayuan was originally called “The Lofty Villa” and also known as Chu Songtian House. It was built in 1932 and covers an area of 966 square meters. It consists of a three-story building and courtyard wall. The main building is rectangular in plan, 17 meters long and 13 meters wide. The building was originally three stories high. After it was purchased in 1933, a brick-concrete structure was added. There is a rectangular porch in front of the gates on the first and second floors, and a circular porch in front of the gates on the third floor. There are four antique Greek Ionic columns in front of the porch. The beams, windows, and crown spires of the building are all decorated with exquisite western flowers and plants, which have a certain value for studying the decorative art of Gulangyu modern architecture. The building is currently used as a cafe-themed restaurant, which is one of the examples of the revitalization and utilization of folk historical buildings.