This women has built an army of volunteers that hand delivers home made treats to every fire station in her county – all 71 of them!
With somber memories attached to the anniversary of 9/11 its nice to hear of one good Samaritan efforts to show appreciation of the fire fighters in her community.
Her name? Jamie Mayo
This years anniversary will mark Jaimie’s 19th year of bringing cards and cookies to first responders on 9/11.
The first time she did this 19 years ago she baked a few dozen cookies with her children to bring to the nearby fire houses. But how it has grown!
Today, she has over one hundred willing volunteers to help drop off home made treats to 71 fire stations and 8 police stations in Pinellas. Volunteers are made up of local teachers and church members.
Together they take the time to show appreciation and honor to the unsung heroes in their community.
Fire fighters statistics in the USA
- NFPA estimates there were an estimated 1,115,000 career and volunteer firefighters in the United States in 2018. Of the total number of firefighters 370,000 (33%) were career firefighters and 745,000 (67%) were volunteer firefighters.
- In 2018, 93,700 (8%) of the firefighters were female. Of the career firefighters, 15,200 (4%) were female firefighters. There were 78,500 volunteer firefighters who were female, which was 11% of the total number of volunteer firefighters.
- Fifty percent of firefighters are between 30 and 49 years old.
- There were 29,705 fire departments in the United States in 2018. Of these, 18% were all career or mostly career departments and protected 68% of the US population.
- Nationwide 38% of fire departments provided no emergency medical services, 45% provided basic life support (BLS), and 17% provided advanced life support (ALS).
Volunteer Fire fighters and EMTs especially deserve appreciation
This is especially true of small fire stations in local communities all over the United States of America. They depend on members of the community to volunteer to fill these much needed roles. A small act of kindness and appreciation goes along way to these unsung heroes.
Wouldn’t it be wonderful if this caught on in every community across the nation?
Fundraising Zone has been helping schools and teams raise money for over 50 years, Parents love the free cookie dough fundraising program because there are no upfront costs and can profit up to 50% on every sale. Learn more…
Company Name: Fundraising Zone
Contact Person: Joe Wolpin
Email: Send Email
Phone: (800) 645-6550
Address:337 Merrick Road Suite 5
State: New York, 11563
Country: United States