US Kidney Research Corporation is an award winner of the KidneyX Phase 1 Artificial Kidney Contest for its novel development of a dialysate-free waterless portable and implantable artificial kidney technology. The $650,000 prize is the largest KidneyX prize to date. Companies from around the world competed in the contest. Six companies were selected as winners. US kidney Research corporation also won the very first Phase 1 KidneyX Redesign Dialysis contest held in 2019.
Roland Ludlow, founder and CEO of US Kidney Research Corporation said, “Over the past five years, our researchers have been able to solve complex problems using novel advanced technology culminating into very successful results. The KidneyX prize will help further our progress. We are honored to be chosen as a recipient of their prestigious award”.
US Kidney Research Corporation, a leader in artificial kidney research, has created a portable functioning prototype. It is the only waterless blood purifying device in existence. The technology has the potential to completely replace current dialysis procedures.
- Unlike dialysis the new technology does not require purified water, dialysate solution, or a dialyzer to function. The device is simply hooked up to the bloodstream and creates synthetic urine.
- The technology doesn’t utilize cells or other biological components allowing the components in our devices to last significantly longer, not be prone to rejection, and to be controlled by computer algorithms.
- The technology can be miniaturized and used to make an implantable artificial kidney
- Dynamic feedback control using a sensor panel adjusts the filtration and transport properties of the device.
- Provides data in real time for improved treatment of patients.
US Kidney Research Corporation is the first in the world to produce synthetic urine without using dialysis. The device produces “synthetic urine” which compensates for the impaired urine output of patients with kidney disease. The ability to produce synthetic urine, a major milestone, was demonstrated in large animals (pigs) lacking functional kidneys.
Dr. Ira Kurtz, Chief of Nephrology at the University of California (UCLA), whom is US Kidney Research Corporation’s Chief Medical/Science Advisor and a Board Member said, “Our technology represents the first major innovation in renal replacement therapy since hemodialysis was first invented in the 1940s. We predict it will be a gamechanger. Millions of patients worldwide will potentially benefit from our technology.”
Further development of the technology will include additional animal studies, testing for efficacy and safety, in preparation for future clinical trials.
US Kidney Research Corporation (formerly Curion Research Corporation), is a Delaware C-Corp founded in June, 2015. The company is creating the world’s first waterless blood purification technology for use in a portable device and ultimately an implantable artificial kidney.
Company Name: US Kidney Research Corporation
Contact Person: Roland Ludlow
Email: Send Email
Country: United States