The last two years have posed significant challenges for New York Couples that were in or seeking marriage or couples counselling. While experiences varied widely for couples during the pandemic, those with existing relationship or personal issues saw those exacerbated under the stresses of isolation and the uncertainty that the pandemic meant for their lives.
According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, nearly 60% of all American adults suffer from mental illness, yet did not receive health services in 2019-2020. Those that did, were forced to turn to online or teletherapy sessions. While advantageous in some ways, such as convenience, Marriage Couples Counseling advises that in many cases they are a second-class substitute for in-person counseling.
The Shortfalls of Online Counseling
While online counseling and therapy may open up the doors for couples who may be hesitant about getting help, there are limitations that make it an inferior option for addressing, resolving and overcoming difficult relationship issues. Even the American Psychological Association advises against online therapy for serious psychological issues, with most experts noting that for all of its benefits, teletherapy falls short in several categories of care.
Major Shortfalls Include:
- Establishing and building trust
- Establishing and building rapport
- Safety and security of data and information
- Difficulty seeing and interpreting non-verbal communication
- Ensuring the immediate safety of those in session
- Forming a deeper and meaningful connection
- Costs (some insurance providers may not cover online sessions)
- Technology interference, malfunction and troubleshooting
- Distractions at home
The Advantages of In-Person Meetings for Creating a Deeper, Empathic Connection and Therapeutic Alliance
A Deeper Meaningful Connection
In-person couples counseling sessions are more intimate, offers a greater sense of connection, empathy and understanding. These in-person sessions enable all parties involved to establish a deeper more meaningful connection and a therapeutic alliance focused on the health of themselves and their relationship to each other.
Research has established that between 70-93% of all communication signals are non-verbal, making teletherapy a challenge to pick up critical cues that can provide insight into an individual’s situation, feelings and more.
Similarly, seeing how couples interact non-verbally is a key component of identifying struggles, uncovering hidden feelings, and offering the best therapeutic solutions to help them achieve their goals.
The Safe Return of Online Couples and Marriage Counseling In NY
Dedicated to the safety and well-being of its clients above all else, New York based Marriage Couples Counseling & Life Coaching has taken considerable measures to ensure safety amid the ongoing pandemic.
Measures Taken to Ensure Safe In-Person Counseling
- All therapists on staff have received TWO Pfizer vaccinations
- Older therapists who qualify for a booster shot have received one
- Strict adherence to COVID protocols for all in-person meetings
- All patients and prospective patients are screened prior to entry using a temperature check and pulse oximeter to check oxygen levels
- All patients and prospective patients are asked to use hand sanitizer
- Safe distancing is used, with the placement of a coffee table between the patient couch and therapist chair
- A medical-grade HEPA air purifier is utilized in-office to filter out airborne pathogens, pollutants and allergens
Marriage Couples Counseling in New York City
Headquartered in New York City, Marriage Couples Counseling is comprised of a talented and experienced group of marriage and family therapists, social workers, life coaches and a consulting psychiatrist.
Backed by more than 80 years of collective experience and a documented track record of results for couples, the group has earned a reputation as a leading couples counseling provider in the greater New York area.
Individuals or couples interested in learning more or in scheduling a session are encouraged to reach out via the official website or by calling 212-673-4618.
Company Name: Marriage Couples Counseling in New York City
Contact Person: Andre Moore
Email: Send Email
Phone: (646) 239-9112
Address:160 Bleecker Street 9 C East
City: New York
Country: United States