Blockchain Technology Industry Overview
The global blockchain technology market size was valued at USD 5.92 billion in 2021 and is expected to reach USD 1,431.54 billion by 2030 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 85.9% during the forecast year.
The market growth can be attributed to the increasing venture capital funding in blockchain technology companies. For instance, in May 2021, Circle Internet Financial Ltd., a blockchain technology provider, announced that it raised USD 440 million in funding from strategic and institutional investors. The company used this funding for organizational development and market expansion. The legalization of cryptocurrency in countries, such as Ukraine and El Salvador, is expected to create new opportunities for market growth.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Blockchain Technology Market
The legalization of cryptocurrency encourages businesses and investors to invest more in blockchain technology. Furthermore, it also encourages the market players to make more efforts to improve their services to gain a competitive edge. These efforts made by the companies are expected to make blockchain technology more effective and efficient in the near future. DeFi is an emerging financial technology based on blockchain, which reduces the control banks have on financial services and money. The growing strategic initiatives in the decentralized finance space are expected to drive market growth over the forecast period. For instance, in July 2021, Square, a payment company, announced that it is launching a business dedicated to DeFi using bitcoin.
This initiative is expected to help the company strengthen its market position. The acceptance of cryptocurrency as a payment by companies, such as PayPal and Xbox, is expected to drive market growth. Various restaurants are entering into partnerships with cryptocurrency solution providers to provide cryptocurrency-based payments to their customers. For instance, in August 2021, Bakkt Holdings, LLC, a digital asset marketplace, announced its partnership with Quiznos, a Quick-service Restaurant (QSR), to launch its physical location pilot. This pilot enabled the customers of Quiznos to pay with bitcoin at select locations.
Various companies are making efforts to integrate Artificial Intelligence (AI) capabilities with blockchain to enhance their offerings, creating new opportunities for market growth. For instance, in September 2019, Signzy Technologies Private Ltd., a RegTech startup, announced its partnership with Primechain Technologies, a blockchain technology provider. The partnership was aimed toward developing AI-enabled smart banking solutions for financial institutions and banks. This smart banking solution integrated AI and blockchain technologies to digitalize and automate back-office operations.
Blockchain Technology Market Segmentation
Based on the Type Insights, the market is segmented into Public Cloud, Private Cloud, and Hybrid Cloud
- The public cloud segment dominated the market in 2021 and accounted for more than 60.0% share of the global revenue.
- The private cloud segment is also anticipated to have significant growth over the forecast period. Private cloud services include the provision of dedicated infrastructure and resources exclusively for organizations
Based on the Components Insights, the market is segmented into Application & Solution, Infrastructure & Protocols and Middleware.
- The infrastructure & protocols segment dominated the market in 2021 and accounted for more than 62.0% share of the global revenue.
- The middleware segment is expected to register the second-fastest growth rate over the forecast period. Middleware helps developers build applications more efficiently.
- Middleware helps developers build applications more efficiently.
Based on Application Insights, the market is segmented into Digital Identity, Exchanges, Payments, Smart Contracts, Supply Chain Management, and Others
- The payments segment dominated the market in 2021 and accounted for more than 44.0% share of the global revenue.
- The digital identity segment is anticipated to grow at the fastest CAGR over the forecast period. The companies offering digital identity are entering into partnerships with blockchain technology providers, which is driving the segment growth.
Based on Enterprise Size Insights, the market is segmented into Large Enterprises and Small & Medium Enterprises.
- The large enterprises segment dominated the market in 2021 and accounted for more than 68.0% share of the global revenue.
- The Small & Medium Enterprise (SME) segment is anticipated to grow at the fastest CAGR over the forecast period. Small & medium enterprises face difficulties in scaling their tasks, such as financing, processing payments, and selecting ancillary services essential for global expansion.
Based on the End-use Insights, the market is segmented into Financial Services, Government, Healthcare, Media & Entertainment, Retail, Transportation & Logistics and Travel.
- The financial services segment dominated the market in 2021 and accounted for more than 38.0% share of the global revenue.
- The healthcare segment is anticipated to grow at the fastest CAGR over the forecast period.
- Governments across the globe are implementing stringent regulations to protect consumer information owing to the growing incidents of data theft and breach.
Based on the Regional Insights, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- The North America regional market dominated the global market in 2021 and accounted for over 37.0% share of the global revenue.
- Asia Pacific is expected to grow at the fastest CAGR over the forecast period. The governments of countries, such as China, Japan, and India, have been promoting the use of blockchain technology.
Market Share Insights:
- May 2020: Ontology, an enterprise blockchain platform, announced its partnership with Spherity GmbH, a digital identity specialist.
- March 2019: Circle Internet Financial Limited completed the acquisition of SeedInvest, an equity crowdfunding platform. The acquisition was aimed at delivering a token marketplace that would allow individuals and businesses to raise capital and interact with investors through the open crypto infrastructure.
Key Companies Profile:
The competitive landscape of the market is highly fragmented in nature. The market players are focused on strategies, such as mergers and acquisitions, to strengthen their market position.
Some prominent players in the global blockchain technology market include
- IBM Corp.
- Microsoft Corp.
- The Linux Foundation
- BTL Group Ltd.
- Chain, Inc.
- Circle Internet Financial Ltd.
- Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Ltd.
- Digital Asset Holdings, LLC
- Global Arena Holding, Inc. (GAHI)
Order a free sample PDF of the Blockchain Technology Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research is a full-time market research and consulting company registered in San Francisco, California. The company fully offers market reports, both customized and syndicates, based on intense data analysis. It also offers consulting services to business communities and academic institutions and helps them understand the global and business scenario to a significant extent. The company operates across multitude of domains such as Chemicals, Materials, Food and Beverages, Consumer Goods, Healthcare, and Information Technology to offer consulting services.
Company Name: Grand View Research, Inc.
Contact Person: Sherry James, Corporate Sales Specialist – U.S.A.
Email: Send Email
Address:Grand View Research, Inc. 201 Spear Street 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105, United States
City: San Francisco
Country: United States