Gas Sensor Industry Overview
The global gas sensor market size was valued at USD 2.50 billion in 2021 and is expected to reach USD 5.34 billion by 2030, registering a CAGR of 8.9% over the forecast period. The major factor driving the market for gas sensors is the development of miniaturization and wireless capabilities, coupled with the improvement in the communication technologies that enable their integration into various devices and machines to detect toxic gases at a safe distance.
Gas sensors are used to constantly control and monitor gas emissions from various industrial processes, ranging from domestic and industrial. Additionally, the rising demand to control the harmful emissions from critical industries also bodes well for the growth of the market. Advances and innovations in technology are allowing gas sensor manufacturers to develop smart gas sensors. Various companies are also developing drone-based gas leak detection systems to provide better safety for the operators of pipelines across the globe.
For instance, in April 2021, ABB announced the launch of the HoverGuard, a drone-based gas leak detection system. HoverGuard detects, maps, and quantifies leaks up to 100 meters from natural gas distribution and storage facilities, transmission pipelines, gathering lines, and other potential sources safely, quickly, and reliably. Such technological developments bode well for the growth of the market.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Gas Sensor market
Stringent government regulations to reduce car emissions are expected to drive the demand during the forecast period. Rules and regulations are imposed by government bodies across the world on the emission of gas from cars. In April 2020, the Corporate Average Fuel Economy and greenhouse gas emission standards for passenger cars were emended by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the EPA. Thus, the imposed limitation on gas emissions from vehicles creates demand for gas sensors, as it decreases atmospheric pollution and increases fuel efficiency.
Numerous industries such as chemical, oil & gas, and power utilize gas sensors to detect the presence of various combustible and toxic gases. A huge number of gases such as carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, hydrocarbons, and ammonia are released into the air by these industries. An excess number of emissions of these gases can adversely affect human health.
Moreover, for power generation, methane is being used widely. Methane is a greenhouse gas that is highly inflammable and forms explosives mixes in the air if the methane leaks are not detected properly. Hence new sensor technologies are being developed, such as substance-specific electrochemical sensors and Non-dispersive Infrared (NDIR) sensors that are used to detect methane and other gases in industries.
The outbreak of COVID-19 is expected to create growth opportunities for the gas sensor industry. The COVID-19 pandemic has affected the additional requirement of oxygen for hospitalized patients. This has propelled various hospitals to efficiently manage oxygen use through oxygen sensors. Oxygen sensors are widely used in hospitals to detect oxygen leaks and assist in protecting patients.
Additionally, manufacturers have also developed sensors to meet the high demand from ventilator manufacturers. For instance, in March 2020, Sensirion developed a new flow sensor, SFM3019, for the market. This development was expected to meet the increasing demand from ventilator manufacturers.
Gas Sensor Market Segmentation
Based on the Product Insights, the market is segmented into Oxygen/Lambda, Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide, NOx, Methyl Mercaptan Sensor, Others (Hydrogen, Ammonia, Hydrogen Sulfide).
- The carbon dioxide gas sensor segment dominated the market in 2021 and accounted for more than 31.0% of the global revenue share. Carbon dioxide sensors are mainly used for monitoring indoor air quality in homes, office buildings, automotive, healthcare, and other applications.
- The carbon monoxide sensor segment is anticipated to register significant growth during the forecast years. Fatalities stemming from carbon monoxide poisoning are driving the need for carbon monoxide sensors. Government regulations to ensure safety in workplace are increasing the growth of the carbon monoxide sensors market.
Based on the Type Insights, the market is segmented into Wireless, and Wired.
- The wired segment dominated the market in 2021, accounting for a share of more than 55% of the global revenue. Wired gas sensors offer benefits, such as low maintenance, compact size, low cost, and higher accuracy.
- The benefits provided by wireless gas sensors, such as high scalability and flexibility, cost-effectiveness, and ease of portability, are expected to drive the growth of the segment. Wireless sensors can be used in a wide range of industries, including petrochemical, manufacturing, and oil & gas.
Based on the Technology Insights, the market is segmented into Electrochemical, Semiconductor, Solid State/MOS, Photo-ionization Detector (PID), Catalytic, Infrared (IR), and Others.
- The electrochemical segment dominated the market in 2021 and accounted for a share of more than 21.0% of the global revenue. The demand for electrochemical sensors is rising as these sensors consume lesser power, have intrinsically safer operations, and offer better specificity to the target gas.
- The infrared segment is anticipated to register the fastest growth during the forecast period in the gas sensor market. Infrared gas sensors detect various gases, including methane, carbon monoxide, and Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) such as acetylene, benzene, butane, and others.
Based on the End-Use Insights, the market is segmented into Medical, Building Automation & Domestic Appliances, Environmental, Petrochemical, Automotive, Industrial, Agriculture, and Others.
- The industrial segment dominated the market in 2021 and accounted for a share of more than 20.0% of the global revenue. Industrial gas sensors are used to monitor and detect hazardous vapors and gases and trigger visual and audible alarms.
- The petrochemicals segment is anticipated to register substantial growth during the forecast period. The LPG and LNG industry verticals have been aggressively deploying gas sensors as these industry verticals require monitoring at every step of storage, production, and transportation of gas.
Based on the Gas Sensor Regional Insights, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa.
- Asia Pacific dominated the market in 2021 and accounted for a share of over 32.0% of the global revenue. Increasing awareness about the impact of air pollutants on human health across the countries in the Asia Pacific, such as India and China, is driving the demand for gas sensors for air quality monitoring.
- The governments in the Asia Pacific region are investing heavily in smart city projects, thus creating significant potential for smart sensor devices.
- Europe is expected to witness steady growth during the forecast period. Stringent norms related to the emissions of gases and the subsequent need for emissions monitoring are expected to drive the regional market’s growth.
Market Share Insights:
- March 2021: Robert Bosch GmbH’s Bosch Sensortec announced the launch of the BME688 sensor, which combines humidity, gas, temperature, and barometric pressure sensing with Artificial Intelligence (AI).
- August 2020: Sensirion AG (Switzerland) launched the new SGP40 VOC (volatile organic compound) sensor for indoor air quality applications such as automated air quality control systems (air purifiers, kitchen hoods, demand-controlled ventilation systems, etc.) and air quality monitoring.
Key Companies Profile:
The market is fragmented in nature. Market players are pursuing various strategies such as mergers & acquisitions, new product launches, and strategic partnerships, among others, for expanding their market presence. Some of the prominent players in the gas sensor market include:
- AlphaSense Inc.
- City Technology Ltd.
- Figaro Engineering Inc.
- Nemoto & Co. Ltd.
- Robert Bosch LLC
- GfG Gas Detection UK Ltd.
- FLIR Systems, Inc.
Order a free sample PDF of the Gas Sensor Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research is a full-time market research and consulting company registered in San Francisco, California. The company fully offers market reports, both customized and syndicates, based on intense data analysis. It also offers consulting services to business communities and academic institutions and helps them understand the global and business scenario to a significant extent. The company operates across multitude of domains such as Chemicals, Materials, Food and Beverages, Consumer Goods, Healthcare, and Information Technology to offer consulting services.
Company Name: Grand View Research, Inc.
Contact Person: Sherry James, Corporate Sales Specialist – U.S.A.
Email: Send Email
Address:Grand View Research, Inc. 201 Spear Street 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105, United States
City: San Francisco
Country: United States