OLD GREENWICH, CT – 16 May, 2016 – Level Up Village (LUV), a provider of pioneering global STEAM (STEM + arts) enrichment, today announced it has expanded its roster of courses to include new offerings in music, literature and language. Designed to develop 21st Century skills, all Level Up Village courses include one-to-one collaboration with partner students in the developing world each class period.
• Global Sound Artists takes students on a hands-on journey through the science of sound. During this course, students build their own guitar, spinning drum and pan pipe as they establish an understanding of vibration, pitch and volume. They listen to and learn to appreciate, culturally diverse music and exchange video messages each class period with their Global Partners from across the globe. Each project explores a different world sound – from Japan to Spain to Ecuador – further enhancing their musical experiences from a global perspective.
• In Global Conversations: The Giver, students will read and discuss Lois Lowry’s The Giver alongside students in a Global Partner classroom. Together, they will discuss the impact of societal rules and cultural norms on individual free will, while determining whether Lowry is presenting readers with a utopian or dystopian society. Students and their partners will research and discuss possible solutions to one of the central issues of The Giver, such as war, hunger, gender roles, access to education, racism and ageism, as well as problems facing each of their local communities.
• Now expanded to include three levels of foreign language proficiency, Global Language Lab provides a dynamic platform for students to engage in real interactions and practice a foreign language with native speakers. Students communicate with their Global Partners by sending and receiving video messages each class period, while participating in a number of activities, including a virtual field trip to their partner’s country and exchanging a literary gift with their Global Partners. Available in Arabic or Spanish, this course offers curriculum for beginner, intermediate and advanced foreign language students.
These new offerings come on the heels of two other courses announced in March:
• Global Web Designers pairs up students with Global Partners from a developing country to design and create a website focused on global climate change. While learning about hydro, wind, and solar power, students also learn to understand trends in global climate change. They will gain essential skills in website development and learn to problem solve from a global perspective.
• In Global Explorers, students become environmental detectives and take a virtual field trip to investigate and explore different animal habitats around the world. Together with Global Partners from a developing country, they will learn about the classification of animal kingdoms as they design and create a shared final project: a green screen multimedia video presentation using videos and images of their chosen indigenous species.
“Level Up Village make it easy for schools to provide collaborative, global learning opportunities for their students that include authentic and meaningful interactions with Global Partner students in developing countries,” said Neesha Rahim, Co-Founder, Level Up Village. “We provide teachers with fully developed curricula, thorough teacher training, access to our vetted network of Global Partner organizations in more than 20 countries, plus a secure platform for global collaboration and cultural exchange.”
Level Up Village empowers students to make a difference through one-to-one global collaboration with students from around the world. Level Up Village is a social enterprise: U.S. school partners directly sponsor STEAM education in developing countries through LUV’s “Take a Class, Give a Class” model. A portion of the tuition is used to deliver the same class to students at one of LUV’s Global Partner organizations.
Schools interested in offering Level Up Village courses should fill out LUV’s contact form.
About Level Up Village
Level Up Village (LUV) delivers pioneering Global STEAM (STEM + Arts) enrichment courses that promote design thinking and one-to-one collaboration on real-world problems between K-9 students in the U.S. and partner students in developing countries. Launched in 2012, LUV runs courses during school, after-school and in the summer at more than 100 U.S. schools in 16 states, with 30+ Global Partner organizations in more than 20 countries.
More information is available at levelupvillage.com and follow us on Facebook and Twitter @LevelUpVillage
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/embed/A8sZWVfsSd0
Recent press about Level Up Village:
• Edutopia: Creating Meaningful Global Connections 4.8.2016
• Forbes: This EdTech Startup Helps Kids In The U.S. And Around The World Learn STEAM Subjects Together 3.26.2016
• One.org: How 3D printing provides new modes of learning in rural Kenya 3.29.2016
Full News Story: http://pressreleasejet.com/news/level-up-village-unveils-new-global-enrichment-courses-in-music-literature-and-language.html
Distributed by Press Release Jet
Company Name: Level Up Village
Contact Person: Andrea Sherman
Country: United States