Photo: Kang Young Ho, director and doctor of Korea Zeah Dental Hospital
Main therapeutic contents: two-jaw surgery, facial contour surgery
Why should two-jaw surgery turn to oral surgery department instead of a regular plastic surgery hospital?
Recently, there have been a lot of advertisements and honeyed words describing two-jaw surgery, and simply define it as a cosmetic surgery.
But two-jaw surgery came into being obviously for the purpose of treatment. Its primary goal is to solve the functional issues. As to the aesthetics, it will definitely have relatively effect. It will be a very precious goal for us to perform this surgery only for the purpose of beauty.
“Two-jaw surgery” is a new phrase which came out only a few years ago. Before that, “orthognathic surgery” was used to describe it.
Ortho + Gnathic Surgery = Orthognathic Surgery
So why does a two-jaw surgery (orthognathic surgery) need to be operated in oral surgery department?
1. In the fifties of last century, the first orthognathic surgery was performed by oral surgeons. From then on, countless orthognathic surgeries (two-jaw surgeries) have been operated in the oral surgery department of university hospitals or individual, with a history of more than 60 years. In addition, so far, over 90% of the papers related to two-jaw surgery (orthognathic surgery) have something to do with Dentistry (oral surgery, orthodontics).
Ironically, Only in South Korea, two-jaw surgery is advertised a lot by plastic surgery.
2. Oral and maxillofacial surgeons make diagnosis, give treatment and perform surgeries with decades of experiences of undergraduate course, practice course, professional surgeon course and the actual diagnosis and treatment course, mastering the professional knowledge and technique of oral lesions and jaw surgeries, etc.
3. Although plastic surgeons have made a comprehensive study on plastic surgery from head to toe, it’s quite common that they have never observed two-jaw surgery at all. Of course, there are some meticulous and professional plastic surgeons who have performed jaw surgeries for several years can complete the operations well. However, for most of them, it is very difficult to operate osteotomy and suture inside the mouth.
4. Plastic surgery is not for treating diseases of functional problems related to the jaw. People cannot learn relevant contents in it, either. This is very important. Most of the two-jaw surgeries are operated inside the mouth, so the operators must master anatomy knowledge related to oral cavity and jaw bone, and have the ability to deal with possible complications before and after the operation expertly. Therefore, only the oral and maxillofacial surgeons who have accumulated a good deal of professional knowledge of oral cavity and jaw bone can perform this surgery.
5. Two-jaw surgery (orthognathic surgery) adheres to 3 principles: Function, Aesthetics, Security. None of the principles can be abandoned, nor can we settle for the second best! Rather than those high-tech vocabulary like no-fixation, self-fixation, 4D, etc., function is the most important part that the oral and maxillofacial surgeons (dentistry) should add to their skills.
6. Why do people feel better in plastic surgery? If I were an ordinary patient, I would think so, too. Whatever plastic surgeons do, people would feel themselves more good-looking, as if anyone can become TV star… Even if it’s inconvenient sometimes.
Certainly, if you do eyes, nose and forehead plastic together with jaw surgery, you will look more beautiful. But if we only pay attention to jaw surgery, the effect made by oral surgeons will be more outstanding.
Kang Young Ho
• Specializes in: two-jaw surger, facial bone contouring surgery, tooth implantation
• Graduated from College of Dentistry, Seoul National University
• Took advanced study and training in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department of Seoul University Dental Hospital
• Clinical instructor of Seoul University Dental Hospital
• Doctor of oral and maxillofacial surgery in Faculty of Dentistry, Seoul University
• Expert of South Korea oral and maxillofacial surgery
• Certified surgeon/full member of South Korea Society of Maxillofacial Plastic Reconstructive Surgery
• Full member of South Korea Society of Cheilopalatognathus and Gnathopalatoschisis
• Full member of South Korea Society of Artificial Dentary Bond
• Full member of South Korea Society of Oral and Facial Tooth Implantation
• Member of lnternational Association of Oral and Mxillofacial Surgeons
• Member of American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
Company Name: Zeah Dental Hospital
Contact Person: Media Relations