Well, you might have heard about the CPAP therapy and the sleep apnea or maybe your friend or relative could be having the sleep apnea, and so you have discussed the experience related to CPAP. We are, therefore, going to let you understand the CPAP machine and what it does.
CPAP is an abbreviation for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure. This is a therapy which is considered to be at the level of gold standard’ as it suppresses the obstructive sleep apnea. Now, CPAP machines come with a generator which is connected to the humidifier that helps in pressurizing the air and a connecting horse which links generator to a mask placed on the nose or mouth of the user.
The CPAP Machines
These machines are highly effective in the treatment of sleep apnea (OSA) caused by complete or partial obstructions that bring about the blockage of an individual’s airway. These kinds of obstructions may result in low breathing rate. The other type of sleep apnea is the central sleep apnea (CSA). This mostly takes place when the brain is unable to transmit the right signals to the muscles which are involved in controlling breathing.
CPAP machines perfectly operate using the following similar core components:
– The Connective Hose. This is a component which connects a generator to the mask face. Many of these hoses measure a length of 3 – 6 feet, considering the model.
– Airflow Generator. A generator is enclosed in a small box that comes with a motorized fan. It then pulls in the air within the room, pressures it and then directs it to the user through the mask on the face.
– Filter. The CPAP machines come with a filter air intake that helps to prevent allergens and dust from contaminating the air. It can be replaced whenever a need arises.
– Humidifier. CPAP machines also come alongside a detachable or inbuilt humidifier. This component is highly efficient as it helps to warm the water that humidifies the air before it is directed into the face mask.
You realize mask is a very important component. They are sold separate from the machine and are available in different styles and shapes in order to take care of varied user preferences. Any style of the mask is greatly compatible with the modern CPAP machines as long as the connective hose is compatible.
Here is a step-by-step guide that will enable you to perfectly use a CPAP machine:
– Always put the machine on a leveled surface to ensure it does not fall or move
– Connect to a wall outlet.
– In case you have a chamber humidifier, fill it with distilled water
– Ensure security of the connective hose which provides a link to the generator and the mask on the face.
– Wear the mask and have it adjusted to a comfortable setting.
– Put on the machine.
– Enhance the settings adjustment as required at night.
The CPAP machine output is measured in water centimeters (cmH2O). Those patients with sleep apnea should get an airflow of 6 to 14 cm H2O and the CPAP machines are capable of delivering at least 4 – 20 cm H2O. In order to know how much is required; the apnea patients have to be taken through a sleep study before they are prescribed to use CPAP machines.
What are the Pros of CPAP Machine?
This is a very important question that we will elaborate more precisely especially for the patients of sleep apnea. The following are some of the associated advantages.
– Easy to Use. With the new and the most advanced CPAP models, I will tell you that they are friendly to the user and they don’t present any difficulty when it comes to troubleshooting and operating.
– Effective Treatment. CPAP machines may not be regarded as the cures of sleep apnea, but they are considered as being the most effective method of treatment for people living with this condition.
– Light and Portable. Many of the CPAP machines come with a weight of below 5 pounds and can perfectly fit into your suitcase hence being able to move around with it comfortably.
– Wide availability. There are several types of CPAP machines that are being offered today. They are available in different price-points and functionalities.
Any component that comes with goodies has also some associated downsides. Some of the downsides include:
– Physical discomfort. CPAP machines may bring about stuffiness and soreness on the nose and kind of irritation on the eye.
– Relatively expensive. Most of the CPAP machines may cost up to $200 and there are those models that come with a price range of $800 or more.
The CPAP machines can be complicated to use at times, although it’s important that you stick to it. The treatment is so essential to help you stay away from complications related to sleep apnea for example heart problems. Therefore, CPAP machines are positively effective as they contribute highly to the quality of your life and health.