You must know PTFE, the father of fluoroplastics. But what is expanded PTFE? Also known as ePTFE, expanded PTFE is the microporous version of PTFE. ePTFE enjoys similar properties to PTFE. This article will describe the differences between them and their respective applications.
PTFE: the father of fluoroplastics
What is PTFE?
As a polymer compound made of tetrafluoroethylene by polymerization, PTFE has excellent chemical stability and corrosion resistance, and has become one of the materials with best corrosion resistance. PTFE can resist almost all the chemicals, except molten alkali metal, chlorine trifluoride, chlorine pentafluoride and liquid chlorine, so it has been widely used in various occasions to resist acid and organic solvent. PTFE itself is not toxic to people.
Unique properties of PTFE
PTFE is the most unusual fluoropolymer and exhibits the best performance in terms of temperature, chemical resistance and non-stick properties.
● Continuous working at temperature of +260°C;
● Low friction surface;
● Very high electrical resistance.
Applications of PTFE
● According to PTFE manufacturers, PTFE has the following major applications.
● Endure even the harshest of environments and is suitable for use in numerous applications.
● Ideal for use in the food and drink production, including cooking equipment, conveyor belt rollers, non-stick surface covers, and temperature sensor casing.
● Particularly useful for the production of internal and external life-saving equipment.
● Perfect for electrical insulation and protection of electronic components.
● Make different products in the chemical industry, such as gaskets, vessel linings and chemical tanks.
Expanded PTFE: the microporous fluoropolymer
What is expanded PTFE?
Expanded PTFE (ePTFE) is a new type medical polymer material, which is made of polytetrafluoroethylene resin by stretching and other special processing methods. The white, elastic and flexible expanded PTFE has a mesh structure formed through microfiber connection, and these microfibers form countless pores, so that the expanded PTFE can be arbitrarily bent. Its good blood compatibility and biological aging resistance allow it to be used in the manufacture of artificial blood vessels, heart patches and other medical products and become the most ideal biological tissue substitute. With good biocompatibility and unique microporous structure, ePTFE is non-toxic, non-cancerous, and non-allergenic, and will produce no other side effects. Human tissue cells and blood vessels can grow into its micro-pores and then form tissue connections as autologous tissue.
Unique properties of expanded PTFE
Expanded PTFE shares similar properties to PTFE. The material is completely non-toxic and hygienic, and also offers working temperatures up to 260°C. In addition, ePTFE enjoys the following properties.
● Chemically resistant with high linear strength;
● Chemically inert;
● Watertight at low pressure;
● Low dielectric constant;
● Excellent radial expansion and UV resistance.
Applications of ePTFE
1. Medical implantsPurely inert ePTFE can be used in a variety of rehabilitation solutions, including artificial blood vessels and patches for soft tissue regeneration and surgical sutures for vascular, cardiac, general and orthopedic surgery, thereby benefiting both physicians and patients. The ePTFE medical products are able to work in harmony with the body’s own tissues and restore their normal function.2. Fluorofiber Expanded PTFE fibers have high strength, low shrinkage, abrasion resistance, and extreme UV resistance, thus ensuring good stability and integrity in extreme environments. This kind of fiber is very versatile and can be woven, spun, braided or sewn into a variety of fabrics, including compression packaging, sewing thread, construction fabrics and dental floss.3. Gaskets and sealantePTFE has excellent chemical and abrasion resistance and extreme resistance to high and low temperatures, making it highly suitable for transporting and sealing of industrial fluids. Gaskets and sealing products from Suko, including flat, thin strip and field-formed sealants, are available for flanges of any size or specification.
Company Name: SuKo Polymer Machine Tech Co., Ltd.
Email: Send Email
Address:No.5 Lvshu 3 road, Xuejia, Xinbei District
State: Jiangsu, 213000